Lyndale United Church of Christ is seeking a Director of Music for 5 hours each week and for 3/4s of the Sundays each year. Sundays played may be either 3 of 4 Sundays each month or September through May with summers off (dates negotiable). Position is available beginning in May, 2019.
About Lyndale: We are a small (worshipping an average of 40-60 people), but musically gifted community. We are predominantly white, and actively working on dismantling racism in all aspects of our community life. We are an Open and Affirming (LGBTQ positive), Just Peace, Sanctuary- Supporting congregation located in the SpringHouse Ministry building in the LynLake neighborhood of Minneapolis.
Musically, we have a Kawai grand, Young Chang baby grand, and Yamaha grand piano and we currently use the UCC New Century Hymnal primarily as well as selections from the Gather Hymnal and Chalice Hymnal.
The candidate will have the following skills:
- A broad-based knowledge of church music and liturgy, with an excitement about always learning new music from different traditions.
- Training on keyboards is needed, including piano, possibly organ.
- General knowledge of the arts, including oral, visual and dramatic arts, and good communication skills.
- Fluency in a range of musical styles and traditions.
- Demonstrable ability to lead congregational singing and teach new music to the congregation.
- Piano accompaniment for congregational singing
- Choral leadership experience for multi-gender and multi-age groups
- Fluency in Finale or equivalent software
- Not necessary, but appreciated: skills in music composition.
The position’s responsibilities include:
- Playing all service music at the following worship services:
- Sunday mornings, 10:30 a.m.
- Advent and Lent mid-week services (when held)
- Periodic support/coordination for mid-week spiritual practice groups
- Christmas Eve
- Ash Wednesday
- Maundy Thursday
- Good Friday (when held)
- Holy Saturday (when held)
- Congregational memorials/weddings (as requested and with additional compensation)
- Scheduling additional music for many Sundays, whether vocal or instrumental, and serving as accompanist
- Rehearsing with musicians, as needed
- Selecting choir music and leading choir rehearsals 8-12 times each year
- Arranging for a substitute service musician in the event of your absence
- Arranging for piano tuning, as needed
- Working with the pastoral leadership to support the liturgical/musical arc of worship
- Meeting with pastoral leadership, as needed
- Attending meetings of the Worship Committee as requested
- Budget authority for purchase of music and supplies
The gross annual salary is $9-10K (reflecting experience), payable on the 15th and 30th of each month.
Send resume, cover letter and list of 2 references to: email@example.com.
Additional materials appreciated include:
- Recording of service for which you played/lead
- Bulletin of service you designed/lead
- Samples of pieces composed for worship