Interested in this position?
SpringHouse Ministry Center: Part Time Child Care Staff
Hours: Very part time, approximately 2-3 hours on Sunday morning, availability needed most Sundays, a schedule is arranged in advance to allow for other commitments. Three child care staff work together each Sunday morning.
Supervision: Supervised by the Co-Chairs of the Children Ministry Team and three Pastors
Congregational Context: Three progressive congregations on the edge of Uptown in south Minneapolis in a shared and renovated facility called SpringHouse Ministry Center. The three congregations share programs like Sunday School, youth, child care, and justice, while maintaining congregational personality and ministry and worshiping separately most Sundays. This is a new model of ministry and a new way of using a facility. More information at www.discoversalem.org and www.lyndaleucc.org and http://www.fccminneapolis.org/ .
Responsibilities: Staff work collaboratively to provide safe child care and meaningful activities (drama, arts, games, etc.) and play space when kids are not involved in Sunday School (9:15-10:15 am) or in worship (10:30 am). This position includes work with infants through age 8, and interaction with parents and other congregation members. Hospitality is essential as child care staff are often the first to welcome families into our community’s life. Typically during the busiest parts of the morning (10:15-noon) three child care staff are scheduled to work.
The Child care worker will:
- Be present for child care between 9:15 am-noon, or 10:15 am-noon (or as arranged) Sunday.
- Occasional prep work may be needed for activities
- Prepare space, getting out games and toys, setting up projects
- Provide developmentally appropriate care to young children
- Initiate and supervise activities, providing a safe play environment, and facilitating group interactions.
- Occasionally provide activities (e.g. making cards for seniors, learning a particular song, reading a book as a group, etc.)
- Maintain consistent expectations from week to week
- Assist kids moving between the child care space and worship spaces
- Use themes that support Sunday School learning and integrate values
- Interact with parents, receiving information, offering observations, communicating behavior concerns
- Inventory and request supplies, cleaning as needed
- Occasionally assist with congregational programs such as Sunday School Christmas Program
- Be alert to issues of safety and maintaining a healthy environment for children
Desired qualities: Joy in children, strong interpersonal skills with all ages, good boundaries, safety-minded, creative, flexible, independent, able to work collaboratively
Successful candidate: Will be 18 years or older with a successfully completed background check.
Compensation: Begins at $15/hour
Application process: Send brief letter of interest and resume to Michael Vanderford at email@example.com and Emma Jorstad at firstname.lastname@example.org and fill out the application linked to with the “apply here” button on this page. An interview and successful completion of a background check will follow if we are interested in moving forward.